The infamous five-star ratings! It can make or break your business, especially if it’s Google’s star rating. Customers often rely on online reviews to decide whether or not to do business with a particular company. And while various factors can influence someone’s decision to leave a positive or negative review, the star rating system is often the most visible and influential part of any review.
But is that all? Does the star rating only tailor to the customer’s needs, or is it useful for companies and businesses? We are going to find that out precisely in this blog post. We will also discuss how to increase Google review ratings, so keep your eyes glued to this post to find out what we have to say.
What is Google’s Star Rating?
Google’s star rating is a rating system used by Google to show how well a business performs based on customer reviews. The rating system ranges from 1 to 5 stars, with 5 being the highest rating a business can receive.
The rating is calculated based on the average of a business’s reviews. Google employs an algorithm and an average to decide how many stars are shown in the results. When someone searches Google, they will see a star rating on link listings and advertisements. All scores are rated on a scale from 1 to 5 stars, with 5 as the highest rating.
A high star rating can be a major boost for a business, as it signals to potential customers that they can expect high quality and customer service. On the other hand, a low star rating can be a red flag, causing many customers to steer clear of a particular business altogether.
Why does Google Star Rating Matter?
Google five star rating matters because it can help businesses earn the trust of potential customers and improve their local search rankings. With a higher rating, businesses can rank in the top spots of local searches, increase their click-through rate, add social proof to search engine listings, boost credibility, and encourage new customers to leave reviews. Furthermore, increasing a business’s rating can lead to more engagement (store visits, phone calls, or directions requests).
A Google star rating is a five-star rating scale that ranks businesses based on customer reviews, with five stars indicating excellence and one star indicating poor performance. Therefore, having a high rating can help businesses stand out among competitors with a lesser star rating.
How do Reviews Factor into Google’s Local Search Algorithm?
According to Google, local search rankings are primarily based on factors such as the number of reviews a business has and its overall review score. Positive ratings and more reviews can help improve a business’s local ranking. In addition to reviews, other factors that impact local search rankings include:
- Accurate location verification
- Up-to-date business hours
- Management and responses to reviews
- The inclusion of photos and in-store products
The Google local algorithm is constantly evolving to align with user intent, and digital marketers need to stay up-to-date with these updates to adjust their strategies accordingly. Overall, reviews are a critical factor in Google’s local search algorithm, as they provide valuable social proof and customer feedback that can impact a business’s visibility and reputation.
How Google Star Rating Works
Google star rating is based on customer reviews and ratings submitted through Google’s review system. Here’s how it works:
- Customers can leave a review and rating on a business’s Google My Business profile. This can be done through Google Maps, Google Search, or the Google My Business app.
- Reviews can include a written description of the customer’s experience with the business, as well as a rating from 1 to 5 stars.
- Google collects all of the reviews and ratings and uses an algorithm to calculate the overall rating for the business. This algorithm considers factors such as the number of reviews, the recency of the reviews, and the overall sentiment of the reviews.
- The calculated rating is then displayed on the business’s Google My Business profile, as well as in search results and on Google Maps.
- Google also displays a summary of the business’s rating, such as “4.5 stars based on 100 reviews.”
It’s important to note that Google reviews and ratings represent real customers’ experiences. To prevent fraudulent reviews, Google has systems to detect and remove fake reviews. Businesses can also flag reviews that they believe are fake or violate Google’s review policies.
How to get a Google Star Rating
1. Add schema markup to your website to show stars on your organic search results. This can be done by collecting first-party reviews, displaying them on your website, adding the aggregateRating schema markup, or using an app to do it for you. Additionally, you should tell Google about your business.
Here’s an example of a Schema code snippet for a local business:
“name”: “Example Business”,
“streetAddress”: “123 Example Street”,
“addressLocality”: “Example City”,
“addressRegion”: “Example State”,
“openingHours”: “Mo-Fr 09:00-17:00”,
“description”: “Example Business is a local business that specializes in providing high-quality products and services to customers in the Example City area.”,
This code defines a LocalBusiness object with various properties, such as the business name, URL, address, telephone number, opening hours, description, and image. The code is wrapped in a script tag with the type attribute set to application/ld+json, which is the format used for Schema.org structured data.
This code can be placed on a website to provide search engines with additional information about the business, which can improve the business’s visibility in search results.
2. Use RankMath’s Schema generator to add star ratings via book schema easily. This involves copying and pasting book schema manually.
3. Apply Google Tag Manager without rewriting the code, using a JSON generator that allows you to create the necessary JSON markup without the help of professional programmers.
How do I get 100% Google Reviews?
To get 100% Google reviews, the first step is to create a Google review link shortcut and put it on your website. Then follow these tips:
- Provide excellent customer service: The best way to get positive reviews is by providing excellent customer service. Ensure your customers are happy with your products or services and willing to recommend them to others.
- Ask your customers for reviews: After providing excellent service, ask them if they would be willing to leave a review on Google. You can do this in person, by email, or by including a request on your website or receipt.
- Make it easy to leave a review: Provide clear instructions on how to leave a review on Google and include a direct link to your Google My Business profile.
- Respond to reviews: Respond to both positive and negative reviews to show that you care about your customers and are committed to providing excellent service.
- Don’t incentivize reviews: Offering incentives or rewards for leaving a review is against Google’s guidelines and can result in penalties.
- Avoid fake or manipulated reviews: Do not buy or create fake reviews, as this is against Google’s guidelines and can have severe consequences for your business’s online reputation.
- Monitor your reviews: Regularly check your reviews and respond promptly to any negative reviews to address any issues and show that you are committed to resolving customer complaints.
Why is Google’s Star Rating not Showing?
There could be several reasons why a Google star rating is not showing. Here are some possible reasons:
- Your business is new or has not yet received any reviews. Google requires at least five reviews for a business to display a star rating.
- Your business has too few reviews to display a star rating. Even if a business has received some reviews, Google may not display a star rating if the number is too small.
- Your business has a low rating or significant negative reviews, and Google is not displaying the star rating to avoid discouraging potential customers.
- There may be a technical issue with Google’s algorithm or the business’s Google My Business profile.
Is there any Google Star Rating Calculator?
As of now, there is no official Google star rating calculator. However, several online tools and calculators can estimate a business’s star rating based on the number of reviews and their ratings.
It’s important to note that these calculators are not endorsed or supported by Google, and their results may not be accurate or reliable. The best way to know a business’s star rating is to check its Google My Business profile directly.
Understanding how google star rating works and using it to your advantage will help your business more substantial in front of your potential customers. By following the tips we’ve shared, we believe you will be able to get as many ratings and reviews for your businesses.
One word of caution, though, don’t get involved in illegal or unethical approaches to maximize your ratings.